Thursday, July 10, 2014

Chaplain's Corner - June 2014

Trust Jesus With Your Intense Anxiety

The Apostle Paul writes in Philippians 4:6: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” The Apostle Peter writes in I Peter 5:7: “Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about what happens to you.”

Jesus teaches us to not be anxious about anything but to pray and become spiritually dependent on him. Jesus said “I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit: apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5) In times of intense anxiety, your greatest strength comes from your growing trust, obedience, and dependence on Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, and the Word of God in Holy Scriptures. “Don’t be led away from God with the errors of the wicked: but grow in the love and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” (2 Peter 3:17-18). You can trust God, because God knows what He is doing.

When you feel overwhelmed by your anxiety and are on the verge of doing something stupid and fatal, remember the words of the 121st Psalm: “I will lift my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip -- he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you – the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm -- he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” And lastly remember the words of this old favorite hymn; “I need Thee, O I need Thee, every hour I need thee. O bless me now my Savior, I come to Thee.”

Chaplain John A. Szilvasy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your Comments below. Keep it clean.